What We Provide
Midwives Are Experts In Normal Childbirth
At the SCV Birth Center, we’re here to support you and your family as you grow.
All-Inclusive Midwifery Care
Statistically, the safest place for a low-risk woman to give birth is outside the hospital with a skilled and licensed midwife. The SCV Birth Center midwives provide maternity and well-woman care for low-risk women, and offer births in our nationally accredited birth center or in the comfort of your home.
- Prenatal and postpartum care
- Non-hormonal birth control methods
- Clinical breast exams
- Fertility assistance and counseling
- Natural birth
- Home birth
- Lactation consulting
- Well-woman and gynecological care
Click the links or scroll down to discover how we can support you.
Nutritional, Physical & Emotional Benefits
The nutritional, physical and emotional benefits of breastfeeding to both mom and baby are vast. Breastfeeding is proven to reduce the number of ear infections, improve immune function, and induce less gastro-intestinal discomfort (to name a few benefits). The emotional bonds and benefits cannot be understated. Moms who nurse report fewer incidences of postpartum depression, better bonding with baby, and the confidence and convenience that comes with knowing that you possess everything your baby needs to thrive.
Lactation support for your home birth or experience at the SCV Birth Center Includes:
- Breastfeeding assistance from certified lactation consultants immediately after birth to insure that mom and baby are off to the right start.
- Breastfeeding consultations at each post-partum visit to be certain that you and your baby continue to nurse successfully.
- Phone support throughout your baby’s first year of life.
The American Academy of Pediatrics and other well-respected health organizations all agree that breast milk is the best food for babies during the important first year of life. However, it is very common for mothers to have many questions concerning lactation and breastfeeding, and search for answers from lactation constultants they can trust.
Tranquil Birthing Environment
Maternity Care With Our Midwives
Caring for you during this exceptional time in your life is our passion. As experts in normal pregnancy and birth, we monitor the physical well being of you and your baby while also addressing the important psychological and emotional components of becoming a parent. The care you receive during your pregnancy and in the weeks following your birth is tailored to the unique needs and circumstances of you and your family.
Each one of our appointments is an hour long, personalized session with our midwives. You can expect to see us:
- Once per month through your 28th week.
- Bi-monthly visits from 28 to 36 weeks.
- Weekly visits from 36 weeks until the birth of your baby.
- At your home within 24-36 hours after your birth.
- Back in our office for visits at 7 days, 3 weeks, and 6 weeks pospartum.
During each visit, we provide any necessary labwork, including blood draws, cultures and pap smears. Our postpartum visits include newborn exams and extensive lactation support.
Statistically the safest place for a low-risk woman to give birth is at home, or in a birth center – with a trained and licensed midwife. Many do not know that midwives are licensed health care providers and during a natural birth, midwives perform clinical or medical tasks such as monitoring baby’s heart rate, doing vaginal examinations or assessing mother’s vital signs.
Home Is Where The Heart Is
You can expect the following steps during your Home birth:
- Visits once per month through your 28th week.
- Bi-monthly visits from 28 to 36 weeks.
- Weekly visits from 36 weeks until delivery.
- Post-partum care at 1 day, 7 days, 3 weeks and 6 weeks, including newborn exams and breastfeeding/lactation support.
- Any lab work necessary, including all blood draws, cultures and pap smears.
Gentlest Of Gentle Births
Waterbirth is available both at the SCV Birth Center and for home births. Home birth parents may choose to rent or buy a temporary “birthing pool.” We will assist you in selecting the right tub for your natural birth needs.
Concerns about the safety of a waterbirth?
Well-Woman & Gynecological Care
Our Care & Licensed-Midwife Support Extends Far Beyond The Day Of Birth
Here are a few ways our licensed midwives are here for you:
- Annual pap smears
- Full physicals
- Non-hormonal birth control options
- Breast examinations
- Confidential HIV & STD testing